though summer is gone, strawberry shortcake cupcakes are perfect for any season! light and fluffy with a flavor to die for, these cupcakes were a lot better than i first expected them to me. mmmm, i’d eat these ‘till i died. i literally could not put ‘em down!!
Total amount of time: ~1 hour
Ingredients and directions under the cut. Pictures included!
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup whole milk (3/4 cup 2% milk and 1/4 half-and-half work great as a substitute)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, gently mix sliced strawberries and 4 tbsp. granulated sugar. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Use convection bake if your oven has the option. Place cupcake liners in 12 standard-sized muffin tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs at medium speed for four minutes until pale yellow and fluffy.
- Add sugar and continue beating for another four minutes or so until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat for another few seconds.
- In a separate medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a saucepan or in the microwave using low heat, melt the butter then add the milk and heat just until lukewarm.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients, followed by the milk and butter mixture. Beat just until combined. Batter will be fairly runny.
- Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes stand in pan for 10 minutes, then remove the cupcakes from the pan and place on a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Make the whipped cream. Beat the heavy cream with a stand mixer or hand mixer (one with a whisk) until those familiar whips begin to form. Add in the sugar and vanilla and beat for another few seconds.
- With a sharp serrated knife, slice off the tops of the cupcakes and set aside.
- Spoon the liquid of the strawberries onto the cupcakes (NOT the tops) to be absorbed by the cake.
- Spoon whipped cream over each cupcake and then add slices of strawberry on top of it. Carefully place the top back on the cupcake, then top with more whipped cream and more strawberries. Garnish with a tiny whole strawberry if you’d like, but this makes it more difficult to eat. Some people liked leaving the top clear of whipped cream all together.
adapted from here
more recipes here